My experience with refugees no.3 Not different

When I talk to people about the work I do with refugees, they often start to talk about the differences they recognize. About the diffe...


When I talk to people about the work I do with refugees, they often start to talk about the differences they recognize. About the different country and culture. About the different language. Different behavior. Different religion. Different family. Different food. Different everything. There is a lot difference, I know. But why should we focus on this?

I started to teach German to 15 students from Syria who aren't able to write our letters. It really touched my heart, when I got reminded of a quite similar situation I found myself in some months ago. I remembered how I sat in that Korean school for 3 months, trying to draw the Korean letters because I wasn't able to write them. I know how it feels like to not know how to write or to talk or to understand a word. I remember how I learned about a completely different culture and how difficult it can be. 

And I thought that I exactly know how you feel. 

I don't see people without education. I see the young man who buys a flat iron to iron his nice white shirt for a date. I see the boys playing soccer. I see the mom embracing her kids. 

I am incredible proud of some of my friends who are already able to understand most of the things I say. The kids I play with and completely forget that they aren't native german speakers, because they learned a new word 'nochmal'. I see how we love each other. I see how we fight for each other. How we struggle to find ways but keep fighting. 

I see difference. But I see difference between you and me. 

My friends form Iraq, Afghanistan, Kurdistan and Syria are not much more different. Okay, they start to write the letters on the wrong side and find it hard to say 'ΓΌ', but your handwriting is horrible too. And you speak a slang that is far away from the proper language. 
How can I focus on what is different, when we are still so alike. So much similar and so much love. The joy I have when I hug the kids. The joy I have when they learn something new. The joy I have when they help each other. The joy I have because they can go to school now. 

I get that there are differences. But why should I focus on a difference I can't change? Instead I decide to work on ways to understand each other better. And look how we understand us.



I wrote this a while ago but never shared it. So now here it is, hope you like it. 
Love, Janina

You Might Also Like

0 Kommentare